Software Engineer Manager Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
5925 Centre Street SW
Calgary, AB T2H 0C2, Canada
Innovate to solve the world's most important challenges
The future is what you make it.
When you join Honeywell, you become a member of our global team of thinkers, innovators, dreamers and doers who make the things that make the future.
That means changing the way we fly, fueling jets in an eco-friendly way, keeping buildings smart and safe and even making it possible to breathe on Mars.
Working at Honeywell isn’t just about developing cool things. That’s why all of our employees enjoy access to dynamic career opportunities across different fields and industries.
Are you ready to help us make the future?
Honeywell is charging into the IoT revolution with the establishment of Honeywell Connected Enterprise (HCE), building on our heritage of invention and deep, on-the-ground industry expertise. HCE is the leading disruptor, building and connecting software solutions to streamline and centralize the assets, people and processes that help our customers make smarter, more accurate business decisions.
HCE provides cloud-based Enterprise Performance Management offerings in a variety of domains such as Buildings, Industrial Plants and Aero enabling customers with faster innovation, efficient operations and maximizing the value of their assets. Powering all the HCE offerings is the underlying platform -- Honeywell Forge which provides an open and extensible foundation to unify operations and leverage the innovative capabilities consistently across the customer business units.
specific role is with Honeywell Connected Industrial, a division within HCE
specializing in the reliability and optimization of manufacturing facilities.
An ideal candidate will bring strong software development expertise and an
eagerness to learn Refinery / Chemical process technologies to best understand
how to best assist our customers. Experience with sequential and simultaneous
solving techniques is a plus.
DUTIES AND SCOPE OF RESPEONSIBILITY:
- Manage a cross functional team of up to 20 global professionals to deliver and support connected plant solutions for key industry verticals such as oil/gas, pipelines and refining.
- Work with leading operating companies in conceptualizing and executing IP / data-development programs for solving complex, critical problems in the oil/gas production/transmission/refining industries
- Responsible for the development and escalation support of various software products including, but not limited to:
- Responsible for new software development and for enhancing existing software systems
- Provide maintenance and technical support activities for existing applications
- Support global business growth opportunities, technical / sales presentation / discussion and sales team
- Responsible for delivering committed release functionality on schedule, on budget, and with improved quality
- Liaise with Product Marketing/Management and UOP to ensure product development commitments are met to drive growth initiatives
- Drive New Product Development (NPD) and growth initiatives in line with software driven business models for UniSim Design
- Participate as development representative on the program, core execution, and business teams
- Collaborate with internal and external customers to identify new synergies, solutions and offerings for global market for UniSim Design
- Ensure effective utilization of global development teams to drive productivity and quality for product development, especially for new generation simulation platform
- Manage and lead customer funded development with close collaboration with major customers
- Participate in product roadmap development and established close working relationships with Product Marketing/Management
- Ensure right mix of skilled resources are in place to execute NPD
- Meet Velocity Product Development (VPD) cycle time and quality metrics required for UniSim Design product
- Lead third party contract agreements and worked closely with such alliances to deliver statement of work development to ensure milestones are met and product delivered on time, on budget and within quality goals
- Proactively assess identify, acquire, and develop the human capital required to execute business strategy with continuous focus on talent development coupled with rigorous management of poor performers
- Support employees in identifying and planning career growth opportunities
- Drive diversity considerations as part of overall talent strategy
- Built strong development team by assessing and retaining top talents, coaching and succession planning
YOU MUST HAVE
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering
- 10 years experience creating software products or services for Oil & Gas, refining or chemical processing domain.
- 10 years of leadership experience in overseeing entry to senior level professionals
- 10 years experience of leading teams to successful project delivery
- 10 years experience delivering products using Agile software development practices
- Self-aware on development needs and actively works on them
- Self-motivated and quick learner
- Demonstrated leadership experience in overseeing entry to senior level professionals
- Proven track of leading teams to successful project delivery
- Self-motivated and able to work with little supervision
- Track record of driving improvements to team performance though team coaching & high impact work practices
- Extensive collaborative work with partners enabling teams to exceed expectations on work delivery and timelines
- Drives the grooming of features along with TPOs and Product Managers
- Drives development KPIs and fosters a metric-driven development organization
- Willing and able to dive deep into technical details to ensure team is maximally effective
- Participates in sprint demos and ensures linkage between front-end (persona), sr leaders and development team along with TPOs
Build and manage the team
- Understands the strengths and weakness of the team members and helps them improve consistently
- Connects with the team members, understands their pain points and helps them resolve them
- Evaluate the efficiency of the team and plan trainings to improve their abilities
- Inclusive, breaks barriers within teams, drives performance culture, and creates a collegial work environment
- Actively drives diversity and encourages multiple viewpoints
- Should be good assessor of talent and should know how to build a team from scratch
- Mentors & coaches the team on best practices, technologies and processes
- Ability to convey subtle or complex messages clearly, as appropriate for the topic and audience
- Has executive presence and maturity
- Good verbal, presentation and writing skills to articulate ideas and thoughts
- Ability to influence cross-functional teams on the idea/approach
- Technical Expertise
- Ability to consistently make timely decisions and balancing systematic analysis with decisiveness, even in the face of complexity
- Working knowledge on multiple technologies, cloud-based product development, usage of frameworks, tools, etc
- Well-versed and hands-on in at least 1 programming language used in the product
- Familiarity of C++
- Current with the latest tech trends and tools
- Ability to evaluate and make right technology choices based on inputs from Architects and Developers
- Understands the significance of UX for products and enables UX experts to work effectively with engineering
- Good understanding on best practices about architecture, design, coding, testing, release management and devops
- Category: Engineering
- Location: 5925 Centre Street SW, Calgary, AB T2H 0C2 CAN